Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cambodia in an article

I think this article from the Phnom Penh Post says a lot about Cambodia. The obscene wealth of the politically well connected (the Cadillac Escalade), the cheapness of life ($4000) and the impunity in which the politically connected can operate in collusion with the so called authorities (police removing the license plates of the offender).






Cops cover powerful SUV killer's identity
PDF Print E-mail
Written by Post Staff
Friday, 08 August 2008
PHNOM Penh authorities remain silent on the identity of the man who slammed his black Cadillac Escalade SUV into a motorbike Sunday night, killing its driver before fleeing.

Bystanders and police said the SUV with license plate 2H-0678 was racing along Sothearos Boulevard at around 11:30 pm when it collided with the motorbike driven by Sam Sabo, a crane operator, tearing off his left arm and left leg.

The crash occurred in front of the Regent Park Hotel, but the Escalade continued to the Ministry of Justice before pulling over with a flat tire.

Hun Chea, nephew of Prime Minister Hun Sen and son of Hun San, the capital's former traffic director, was seen at the broken-down SUV. Scores of witnesses were on hand.

A source close to the family confirmed Hun Chea owns a black Cadillac Escalade SUV. Repeated attempts to contact Hun Chea were unsuccessful.

Numerous traffic police passed the scene without stopping, but the wreck drew the attention of about 20 military police, who removed the license plate from the SUV.

"After about 30 minutes, the number plate was removed by the armed police," said witness Makara, 17. "I heard the police tell the car driver, ‘Don't worry, it wasn't your mistake. It was the motorbike driver's mistake.'"

One military policeman at the scene said, "It is very difficult and complicated because this accident involved a big person. They will hide the story."

Seng Chanthorn, a Phnom Penh traffic police official, said Wednesday the victim's family had agreed to receive US$4,000 from the driver in exchange for a thumb-printed promise not to file a court complaint.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so a shame of myself to admit that I'm Khmer and was born in Cambodia. I wish that there is something I could do to help reveal or stop these corrupt powerful people from taking advantage of those who are helpless. I want so much to help out, but I, myself is struggling. My dream is to one day go back home and do something for these unfortunate people. I am a single mother, working full time and also in school full time. Yeah...like life isn't hard enough to be a single mom with a full time job! But you know this is the only way for me to even imagine taking the first step in achieving my dream. I can read/write and speak Khmer, but I feel so useless. However, I'm proud of you for being there...this is from the bottom of my heart.

I heard plenty of stories like this. Unfortunately, if you don't have powerful people to back you up...that is gonna be the end of the bargain for you. The poor get poorer the rich get richer...this is how life is in Cambodia. I feel such burden in my chest when I ask myself what have I done for my country and people?

By the way do you have anymore pic you can email me?

Thanks
Sopheap

4:06 AM

 
Blogger Mapu said...

Sooasday Bong Srei!

Good to hear from you, where are you living now?

You are right, stories like that are all too common. The culture of wealth is out of control.

But be heartened that there are plenty of good Khmer people here working to make Cambodia a better place. You have a new home now and you can't be expected to run back to Cambodia and fix the place especially when you have a kids!

I love Cambodia after being here a while and although this stuff happens, there are lots of positive stories as well which you never hear about!

As far as photos, i post pretty much all of mine to this blog so feel free to go through the archives, where in Cambodia are u originally from?

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew,

Sooasday Matthew!

I was born in Phnom Penh and I'm currently living in VA. I was just in Cambodia for three weeks in May and returned on the 13th of June. I have read some of your stories about hookers in the restaurant. Yeah, unfortunately there are lots of stuff like that going on in Cambodia. What exactly do you do in Cambodia? Is there anything I can do to help out?

3:59 AM

 
Blogger Mapu said...

Hi Sopheap

I am volunteering with the World Food Programme in Kampong Speu Province. I have been here since December 2006 but I am scheduled to leave December this year which is a bit sad.

our work is supported by governments, including the uSA, as it takes a lot of money to run a nationwide program. I guess the best thing you can do is lobby your politicians on the issues happening in Cambodia.

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home