Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Spues in the Spue

Photo Above: Confluence of the Tonle, the Bassac and Mekong Rivers in Phnom Penh.

Hi

I was all amped for the staff Khmer New Year party on Sunday, when on Friday night I decided to have some Vietnamese. Needless to say I spent the weekend surgically attached to my bathroom all weekend and missed the party. Eating Vietnamese any time around Khmer New Year was probably a bad idea! (Vietnamese and Cambodians don't really have a great relationship).

Last week I went with one of the guys here, Ratha, to check out some Non-Food Items (NFI). For Food-For-Work that pretty much means box culverts attached to irrigation canals that have been dug. The box culvert allows the villagers to divert the water from the main canal into the smaller secondary canals that run up along people's fields. With irrigation they can have two rice harvests a year, meaning they will have enough to eat for the whole year.

Oh another weird thing happened last week. Well a little while ago, Doramy (one of my colleagues) came in and asked if my parent’s were married. I didn’t think much about it at the time, but I got a phone call from the HR assistant in Phnom Penh. She asked me if I would be the best man at her wedding. She is marrying a German guy who doesn’t know many people here and they thought he would be more comfortable with a foreigner as his best man – even if he had never met him!

I thought this was awesome and was so ready to do it (the all white tux alone would be worth it) but unfortunately it was not to be as I was already committed on that day. Maybe another day I will be a completely random guy’s best man
Sigh

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you wanna be my completely random best man?

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Jo said...

we miss you Matman!

Glad to hear your doing well, random best man adventures are cool :)

I'm with Liz in Vienna! We went Bratislava on Saturday. It has been a very random weekend! :)

Love love love Liz and Jo
oxox

4:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home